Hey, I'm Nick Symmonds, CEO of Run Gum. I am 2x Olympian and this December I am going from being an 800m runner to attempting my first marathon.
When it came down to what marathon I wanted to run, I considered five things. If you like me and looking to run your first marathon, or you are just looking where to run your next, you may want to consider these as well.
1) Location - Where do you want to visit?
2) Time of the Year - Training for a marathon takes months. Give yourself 3-6 months to train.
3) Topography - Do you want to run flat route or up in the hills?
4) Weather - If you don't run well in the heat, choose a colder race. If you don't run well in the cold, find a warmer race.
5) Prestige - Are you looking to run a major marathon with tens of thousands of people right next to you?
Finally, think about who you want to surround yourself with when you cross that finish line. Do want to be with your friends and family or the excitement of being around tens of thousands of runners?
Prestige is about who you want to be around.